Thursday, June 02, 2005

The Monkeys Are Coming!

I found a picture of a flying monkey. I don't know but they're really quite cute next to flying pigs. But FPs are so cliche these days. Everyone wants a FP! Brr... conformity breeds contempt I'd always say. I have to say, FMs do depict my current lifestyle. I have a house full of them. But I've never really liked FMs as a child. In fact, it was quite and strongly the opposite.

I recall having a dream of FMs when I was very young. I was at the top of my staircase and it was dark. Not pitch black. Dark. Things were flying and crawling all around me. They were neither man or animal with black leathery wings. But they were large enough to be either.

When Wizard of Oz first came out, I thought the flying monkeys were the things I'd seen in my dreams. For the longest time, I thought all FMs were evil. Then many years later, when I was in Melbourne as a student, I was at the State Library. I was intrigued with a book of illustrations on devils. And I saw a closer resemblance.

Glowing eyes, snarling teeths, black leathery wings. Dark creatures. Once I saw that, I was, 'Oh, so these were what they were. Okay, flying monkeys are sooo OK. I like them now.'


"Things like these are what dreams are made of."

1 comments:

Nadhirah said...

Sui Fang Pi??? Ahahahahaha... Monkey see, monkey do. I'd call you but I don't have your number. Left it in my old cellphone when I sold it to Ah heng. So, leave me a missed call or sms ya?